Monday, January 25, 2010

Shorepound at Belews



They just can't forecast this kind of day. I got to Belews a little after 3 and the SW had the place rolling. There was actually shore pound with a little spray coming into the grass! I rigged the 5.8 and the 106L since I didn't think the wind would stay. I used the 5.8 (or rather it used me) until about 4:30pm. All I could do was go upwind most of the time... To get back down wind I actually had to use a wave sailing upwind technique backwards- I sheeted out and rode the swell. I just stuck with the 5.8 because I thought the wind would drop off any minute. Finally I rigged the 5.2 so I could relax a little to end the day. I wish I would have started with it but I'll certainly not complain about being over powered on the lake.
-
The wind was at the perfect angle coming right off the power plant. When I missed my first jibe I held my breath for the ice cream headache but it never happened. Belews is awesome. The warm temps and plant have kept it balmy enough I didn't even use gloves! The last time I windsurfed was January 1st 2010. The last time I was on anything smaller than my formula board was November 13th 2009. Man I needed this so bad. You can cross train, paddle, skate and lift until you are blue in the face but nothing prepares you for windsurfing like windsurfing.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you got some, Ralph. I love how the wind did a 180 in a matter of minutes, just as the lights went out.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark. Just before sunset a line of clouds came over and the wind did shift suddenly. At least it wasn't as bad as earlier this year when I schlogged upwind south then had to schlogg upwind north to get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I have gotta check out that heated lake!! Stoked you got some wind- next time you're that jacked on the 5.8, just toss it on the 85 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! The 85 would have been SICK. I gotta make a big deal about it since yesterday was such rare conditions lately. Check out this post for an explaination for why I didn't have my heavy air stick...

    http://triadwindsurfing.blogspot.com/2009/12/wind-for-stokesdale-part-2-ecstasy.html

    It is a vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete